In the past few weeks, Jess, Jordann, and The Money Pincher have all nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks to Jess’ trusty research skills, I can tell you the awards are given to: “Honour those bloggers who bring something special to your life, whether every day or only now and then.” Thanks, ladies!
To accept the “award”, I now have to write a post that reveals 7 secret/unknown facts about myself. I don’t normally do these (especially because I’m pretty sure you guys know everything about me), but it seemed like a fun activity for TGIF. So, here goes nothing:
1. I hate pumpkin pie. I don’t like telling people that in the fall, for fear I’ll have one thrown at me. It’s not the flavour. I love pumpkin spice lattes, and I just made a batch of homemade pumpkin spice to put in my morning coffee. Nope, it’s the texture. It just grosses me out! This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada and I can promise you I won’t eat a single piece of pumpkin pie.
2. I love tea – but it has to be made right. You have to boil the water then pour an inch of it into your teapot, so it heats up. Reboil the leftover water while you’re waiting, so it’s extra hot. Then dump the water from the teapot into the sink, put in 1-2 tea bags (has to be Tetley) and fill it to the top with hot water. My dad’s parents were British – it’s the only way to do it!
3. I can’t sew. Growing up, my mom and aunt used to own a fabric shop on Lower Johnson in Victoria, where they also sewed and sold clothes. My mom made clothes for me when I was a kid, put together amazing Halloween costumes and sewed all my sisters’ figure skating competition dresses, etc. And Baby Sis sews too! But I never wanted to learn. I don’t even think I could stitch on a button, if I had to.
4. I’m a pro at building online courses. No, seriously. Ever heard of WebCT, Blackboard or Moodle? I spent the first 5 years of my career building courses in all three LMS’ (learning management systems). I’m fascinated by instructional design and, if I hadn’t made the career move into being a full-time writer/editor, I probably would’ve gone back to school and pursued it as a career.
5. I don’t mind not finishing a book. I know most people feel like they have to finish reading every book they’ve ever started, but that’s just not how I roll. If a book doesn’t suck me in in the first 50-60 pages, I’m over it. There are too many good books out there! Why waste time trying to push yourself to finish one you’re not enjoying? (Note: This doesn’t happen often, but I don’t feel bad when it does.)
6. I love warm scents. Vanilla, sandalwood, coconut, cocoa butter… gimme perfumes and candles in everything! To contrast this, I hate floral scents. I like real flowers, but florally perfumes? Bleh.
7. I used to hate my last name. When I was a kid, people always seemed to think it would be funny to ask me how “Ned and Maude” were. (Actually, our valet guy in New Orleans just asked me that a couple weeks ago.) And I think I’ve said “Flanders, like in Flanders’ Fields” a thousand times or more. But it’s always growing on me. In fact, even if I get married, I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep it.
The high of my week was just killing it at #pfworkouts. I put in 50-55 mins at the gym every single day, except Wednesday (only put in 30 mins). Still, it was a great week!
A blog post I loved was The Stories We Don’t Tell. “Unfortunately, too often, we withhold stories from our own lives that could benefit others. The stories are not pretty. Otherwise, we would have already told them. But they have a place in our society and in our conversations with the people closest to us.”
The best money I spent was on part of Clare’s wedding present.
My plans this weekend include travelling to Denver today, going to a party in Boulder with Clare and Drew tonight, going out for breakfast and hiking Red Rocks with my friend Kayla tomorrow, watching Clare and Drew get married on Sunday, then flying back to Vancouver and catching the ferry to Victoria (for Thanksgiving!) on Monday. Wow, a lot can happen in just a few short days, eh?
How was your week, friends? Want to share any secret/unknown facts about yourselves!?