I’m so excited to share March’s final budget! The number at the bottom looks scary at first, but here’s why it’s not: I brought in an extra $1,125 this month, which means I actually came in under budget. Here’s how:
Remember when I was complaining about working those 17-hour days back in February? Well, that contract work put an extra $1,100 in my pocket. I billed for it in February, thinking I wouldn’t see the money until April or May, so you can imagine how excited I was to get the cheque just a few weeks later. I put 100% of it in my Emergency Fund, along with a $25 ING referral bonus.
You may have noticed that I budgeted for $3,600 this month, instead of the usual $3,200 – that’s because I knew I was going to get my 2013 income tax refund. A couple weeks ago, I took $420 of my $421 refund and put it in my RRSP mutual fund account. In the midst of three very expensive months, you can imagine how good it felt to finally save some money! (Especially after saving $0 last month…)
Onto my expenses.
I went way over budget in the Dominican. However, I wrote this budget without considering the fact that half of my trip to Toronto would occur in April – so, I’m technically under budget here (this month, anyway).
My housing expenses were all normal, other than my Internet bill. Apparently, I still had some sort of discount applied to my account last month. It looks like my bill going forward will be $61.60/month.
My food budgets were bang on. Transportation, too. And health care. Hooray!
But holy jeez, did I spend a lot of “my money”. Before my trip, I picked up a few new clothing items, accessories, sunscreen, etc. I also purchased a few e-books. And apparently spent some cash!?
In the end, I saved 33% of my income in long-term savings, spent 25% on housing, 15% on travel, 7% on transportation, 5% on food, 5% on health care, and 10% on myself and charitable donations.
Goals for this month:
- Hangout / attend a public speaking workshop with my mentee – PASS!
- Tackle edits to the writing project I was working on in January – FAIL! I did get some writing done for it, but I didn’t get to the edits.
- Bring my bridesmaid dress in for alterations – PASS! I’m picking it up next week!
- Rent a paddle board / soak up some sun in the Dominican – PASS! I didn’t get a SUP, but we surfed and spent countless hours napping in the sun.
- Squeeze in as many visits / meetings as I can in Toronto – PASS! I can’t believe I’m flying back to Victoria tomorrow…
How did your month finish up?