Over the last few days, my boss, co-workers and I have had some great talks about what we want our futures to look like – both in our careers and personal lives. We’ve listed the places we all want to travel, where we want to live, whether or not we want to get married, have kids, etc. And when I saw E’s post, I started thinking about how I wanted to spend my days.
Have you ever thought about what you want your life to look like in 1, 3, 5 or 10 years? Beyond any goals or milestones you want to achieve, what do you want your daily life to look like?
For the most part, I’m already living my “perfect day” – minus having a dog or two to play with! But I mentioned last week that my career is my top priority right now, and that’s because I often think about what I want my future daily life to look like and I know my career will largely be what shapes it. So, here are my answers to the questions in E’s post, with a little insight on what my career goals are…
- What time do you wake up, and how are you feeling as you greet the day? I’m up at 6:30 a.m., and I’m excited to workout and then start the day.
- Where are you? If you’re at home, what does it look like? I’m living somewhere in B.C. If I’m still single, I own/live in a 2-bedroom condo. If I’m in a committed relationship, we’d hopefully own/live in a 3-bedroom house (or any size house… just not a condo).
- Who is with you? My future rescue dog(s) and future boyfriend/husband. (I guess in 5 years there could be kids too, eh? I will be 33-34… weird.)
- What kind of work are you doing? (If you have no idea what kind of work you’ll be doing or want to be doing, list the qualities you want to find in the work you do and the kind of work environment you want.) I’m an author, freelance writer and public speaker. I’m still passionate about personal finance and financial literacy for youth, but I’m also considering getting my Master’s, so I can teach at a local college or university.
- As you head out to face the day, how do you look? What are you wearing? I work from home, so I don’t need to dress up. But I shower after my workout and change into jeans/capris and a casual shirt (or a hoodie in the winter… because I can).
- How do you get to work? I walk from the kitchen (where I made coffee) to my desk.
- When you’re done with work, how will you spend you spare time and with whom? What activities do you enjoy? I’ll take the dog(s) for a hike or a walk by the water.
- What is your evening like? I’ll make dinner with my guy – either just for us, or for us + family/friends. Then we’ll either visit with those family/friends or just relax/unwind together. On a perfect night, we’d read books side-by-side and both feel comfortable in the silence.
- When you go to bed that night, how are you feeling after spending the day doing exactly what you love? I feel fortunate. It’s not luck that lead me to this perfect day – it was hard work, determination and the opportunities I accepted/declined along the way.
- What are you most grateful for and what are you looking forward to as you go to sleep? I’m grateful for the health of myself/family/friends/pets and for getting paid to do something I love. And because I’m open to change, I’m always looking forward to whatever opportunity is coming next (both personally and professionally).
What does your perfect day in 5 years look like?