This budget absolutely blows my mind. I haven’t been this close to staying on track in a long time!
For starters, I managed to accomplish every one of my savings goals for this month. In the end, 33% of this budget was money put into one of three savings accounts. I’m sad to say that my original goals of saving $1,000 in each of my Regular Savings and Travel accounts will not be achieved in 2013, however, now that I’m moving again. But more on that in my October budget post…
My Internet and laundry expenses were lower than I expected them to be. It turns out TELUS put me on a promotional plan for 6 months when I moved in August, so my bill will only be around $30 until March.
Food… well, what can I say: my vice is dining out. This month may have been more expensive than usual, however, because of the number of coffees I had with old friends (and a few new ones too!).
I knew at the beginning of the month that I needed to renew my car insurance and start paying it monthly. I estimated it would be about $150/month and that guess was pretty accurate. What I didn’t anticipate is that I would only spend $60 on gas. Seriously, did I drive at all!?
The final 10% of this budget was spent on “life”. There was a small gift to a friend to say thanks, a donation to another friend, a few candles were purchased and a couple of books too.
All in all, I have to say that September was a pretty good month. A little stressful, of course, but good overall.
Goals for the month:
- Track my spending – PASS!
- Save at least 25% of my take home pay in various accounts – PASS!
- Keep eating healthy – PASS! It took a couple weeks but I’m meal planning more, always eating breakfast, prepping snacks, etc.
- Read at least 2 books – PASS! This month, I read Easy Money by Gail Vaz-Oxlade (short and sweet) and Hidden by Catherine McKenzie (meh).
- Enroll in CSC for Investors! – FAIL! Next month, for sure.
How did your month finish up?