Can you believe we’re already at the end of the very first month of the new year? Guess that means it’s time to see how my first budget and set of monthly goals went. As always, let’s talk money first!
I started 2013 with $6,500 of debt. This month, I paid off $850 and am now in the $5,000’s! As for my budget, I put 27% of my spending towards debt, 33% into savings, and the leftover 40% went towards my daily living expenses. I went over in some areas but, all in all, I’m pretty happy with how January’s final budget looks.
As for my goals, even though I feel good about it all, I want to take some time this weekend to make sure I’m on track with my annual goals. I dreamt up some pretty big dreams for this year, and I know I’m actively working towards making a few of them happen, but I want to keep the others in the back of my mind too.
Goals for this month:
- Attempt a No Spend January (Essentials only!) – Hmm PASS/FAIL!? I did pretty good, minus buying myself one book and two gifts for other people.
- Track my weekly spending – PASS! No problems here.
- Workout 2x per week – FAIL! This is just not a priority for me, right now. I knew it, even before I made this goal.
- Start a new freelance project – PASS! I started freelancing for LearnVest this month. My first post gave me an opportunity to interview a few other personal finance bloggers and I got to send out an invoice for it. How fun is that?
- Read 2 books – PASS! This month, I read 3 books.
How did your month finish up?