Friends, I can’t thank you enough for your response to Monday’s post. Before I say anything more, if you’re ever tempted to treat yourself as a form of therapy, go back and read the comments. I was so moved by each and every one of them. Thank you for opening up about your own struggles and sharing your stories with us. I am not alone. You are not alone. We are in this together.
I received more email responses to that post than any other I have written before. Along with your stories and support, you shared some of the ways you take care of yourself when times are tough. As a follow-up, I wanted to compile your ideas and share them with everyone who may need them. Here is a list of healthy ways to treat yourself (without buying or binging on anything). xo
- Take a day off from any errands and to-do list items. The world will not crumble if things pile up for one more day.
- Have a slow morning (or slow evening or slow lunch hour or slow coffee break or whatever you can make time for).
- Take a hot shower or an epsom salt bath.
- Light a candle or burn some essential oils.
- Throw on a fresh pair of socks or your favourite slippers and put your feet up.
- Soak up some sunshine. Sit, walk, hike, run. Do whatever you want. Just get some Vitamin D.
- Cross something (free) off your bucket list. (For me, this is usually a park I want to visit or a hike I have yet to tackle.)
- Plan your next trip. It doesn’t cost anything to dream.
- If you get outside, pay attention to your surroundings. Touch the trees. Listen to the sounds. Remember the smells.
- Take a different trail. This could be a different route for your commute, a different walking/hiking trail… or it could simply mean switch up your routine and try something new.
- Drink your favourite non-alcoholic beverage. Water, water with lemon, a smoothie, tea, coffee, whatever. Fill up your favourite glass/mug and enjoy every sip.
- Re-read your favourite book. (If you’re curious, I’ve been reading random chapters from The Alchemist, Love Warrior and Essentialism.)
- Listen to an audiobook read by the author. It’s incredible to hear the story told in their voice. (I highly recommend any of Elizabeth Gilbert’s books. She’s an amazing narrator.)
- Watch some comedy. It can be a rerun of one of your favourite shows or some standup or even a movie. Just watch something silly and funny.
- Listen to music and sing along as loud as you darn well please. And if you feel so inclined, dance your butt off, too.
- Do one of the practices in Adriene’s Yoga for Healing series. (Thank you to Anja for this.)
- Take a nap or go to bed early – or both. Catch up on the sleep you crave.
- Write down a few things you love about yourself. On my list: my strength, my willingness to “look stupid” but ask questions anyway, my green eyes, my curves.
- Spend time with an animal. There’s nothing like them. <3
- Invite someone over. Or just talk to someone. You’ll be reminded you are not alone. And if you’re lucky, they’ll make you laugh. :)
Are there any other free ideas you want to add to the list!?