Date a Female Personal Finance Blogger

October 15, 2013
female blogger

This weekend, I decided to have a little fun and wrote something you wouldn’t expect. Similar posts have been circling the web for months, but I haven’t found one written for us – the women in the personal finance community. This post was inspired by Date a Girl Who Writes by Tanza Loudenback for Thought Catalog, Date an Entrepreneur – Female Edition by Heather Payne and all of the personal finance bloggers I know and love.

Date a female personal finance blogger. Date a girl who understands the value of a dollar as well as the emotional power money has over us all. Date a girl who lists personal finance experts and bloggers as her heroes and who wants to become that same hero in her own family. Date a girl who writes about the mistakes she’s made and what she’s learned because she wants to strip away the taboo and educate her readers. Date a girl who hopes to inspire at least one person to take control of their financial life because she doesn’t want anyone to be in the situation she once was.

Find a personal finance blogger. You’ll know she is one because you’ll see her double-checking her budget spreadsheet while sipping on a latte at Starbucks (her only treat all week). She’s the one simultaneously working on a blog post in WordPress, chatting on Twitter and skimming through Feedly (which she likes but she still misses Google Reader). Ask her what she’s working on and you may see her get flustered. Even though she loves the subject of personal finance, she wonders what people will think if she says she writes a blog about it. But ask her more questions and you’ll see her start to come alive.

She’s the girl wearing TOMS because she likes to think the money she spends may also be used for some good (plus they’re cute and not too expensive). She’s on her laptop and smartphone at all times. Lost in a world of Twitter lists and RSS feeds, she doesn’t want to miss anything that could help her further understand money or inspire a new post. Her coffee, tea, and dinner often get cold because she needs to finish a blog post before she forgets what she wants to write. You may lose her for an hour or two, but she’ll come back – as soon as tomorrow’s post is scheduled.

Dating a personal finance blogger is easy. She doesn’t expect extravagant dates or expensive gifts – and she also doesn’t care if you use a coupon (well, maybe not on the first date). For birthdays and Christmases, gift her something she actually needs. You’ll know what that is because she will likely have written a blog post mentioning things she is saving up for so she can purchase them with cash versus credit. Truthfully though, the best gift you can give her is your time. She knows that time – not money – is a person’s most valuable resource because one day it will run out.

With that being said, be forgiving of how much time she dedicates to her blog some days. This may not just be a hobby for her – it could be a second source of income. Chances are she wants to walk away from her laptop even more than you want her to, but she’s a writer on a deadline and deadlines can’t be missed. She takes her work seriously because she knows how important it is to get the facts right. When it comes to money, the subject is still so taboo that she wants to be both an educated and an understanding voice on the matter; any mistakes could be crucial. Bring her a cup of coffee and tell her not to give up until she’s done.

As a writer, she’s also a good listener. She may not have all the answers when you’re discussing something but don’t be surprised if you receive emails, tweets and Facebook messages at all hours of the night (when she’s procrastinating writing) with links to stories she thinks you will enjoy or that will answer a question you had days before; this is her way of showing you that she’s been listening – that she cares. Show her you are also listening by sharing something you think she would enjoy reading or that could inspire her next post; it will make her day (especially if it’s finance-related).

Date a personal finance blogger and she will help you save money whether you like it or not. Move in together and you may be surprised to see your grocery budget go down instead of up. Plan a trip and she’ll make you wait until Tuesday morning to book and pay for your flights. Lose a week of pay and she will want to show you how to move numbers around in your budget to make sure you come out even. Her expertise is knowing how to sacrifice in the short-term to gain in the long-term and she will want you to gain in your long-term too.

Ask her questions about the different budgeting and investing strategies she knows and be ready for her answers. Over the years, she has likely tried everything from the snowball method to the cash envelope or jar system, and one thing she’s proven is the fact that one strategy does not fit all. She knows why the word “personal” is included in “personal finance” so she will never judge you based on your financial situation or any decisions you made leading up to it. If you ask, however, she will want to share what she’s learned throughout her own journey and will hope it can help you.

You’ll want to propose only after you’ve saved up enough to pay for her engagement ring with cash because you know she’d be disappointed if you put it on credit. You’ll know this because you’ve had numerous discussions about getting married and you both agree you don’t want to start a life together being weighed down by debt. When you marry her, your wedding will be both intimate and inexpensive. Both of your journeys towards financial freedom will have taught you who and what really matter, so you’d rather elope or have a small wedding than waste money you could otherwise use to achieve some of your bigger goals.

Marry a personal finance blogger and together you will live a life full of love. You will spend time getting to know each other’s families and friends because you both know that people are more important than objects. Travel will be at the top of your wish list each year because you would rather explore the world and create new memories together than waste your money buying useless things. You will love her because she will make sure you both have everything you need to be happy – because she will play around with your budget but she will never play around with your heart.

If you have kids together, she will teach them what to do with their hard-earned allowances. She will introduce them to various financial concepts, including paying yourself first and saving at least 10% of your income. Together you will come up with financial goals for you all as individuals and as a family. Challenge her with a “what if” situation and watch as she calculates the numbers to make sure everyone can still get what they want. She is obsessed with making money work for her and she will want to make it work for her family; you’ll feel this in any blog post that mentions her struggles with money.

Date a personal finance blogger because you deserve a partner who will be honest about their financial situation with you. You deserve a partner who knows that money is the #1 thing couples fight about and who will be damned if she plays any part in letting that statistic include your relationship. Share your dreams with her and let her show you how you can combine your efforts to live the best life possible. But be careful… If you tell her you try to have three “no spend days” each week, she just might fall in love. (Worse yet, she may ask you to start a personal finance blog.)

Flickr: dawolf

• Ben @ The Wealth Gospel October 15, 2013 at 4:20 am

Haha love it! Perfect post to start off my day :)

• Karen October 15, 2013 at 4:48 am

I really enjoyed reading this!! I agree with pretty much everything you said. :)

• Debt Blag October 15, 2013 at 5:50 am

This is beautiful and fun at the same time :)

• Dear Debt October 15, 2013 at 7:40 am

Love this! I’m sending this to the bf now. I was up late last night working on blog stuff and he didn’t understand. I think he’d get a chuckle out of some of these!

• Michelle October 15, 2013 at 7:49 am

That was amazing! Exactly what I needed this morning, brought a smile and tears of happiness. Yes, I cry when I’m happy to! Especially for a post like this, I can totally relate. Great work Cait :)

• Michelle October 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

I LOVE this! :)

• Kali @CommonSenseMillennial October 15, 2013 at 8:35 am

This is amazing, Cait! I loved reading this, it’s perfect. If I had to pick a favorite part, it would be the line, “because she will play around with your budget but she will never play around with your heart.” This was funny and touching, true and something us personal finance ladies can be proud of. Again, really awesome post, I loved it :)

• Girl Meets Debt October 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

When I saw the title for this post, I was so excited to read it because you know I can relate! ;) Your writing didn’t disappoint! “(Worse yet, she may ask you to start a personal finance blog.)” – J asked me to start a PF blog. Ahhhhhhhhhh! LOL

• Cait October 18, 2013 at 8:22 am

Haha, you definitely inspired that sentence!

• Catherine October 15, 2013 at 9:15 am

Cait, this is great. Beautifully written, eloquent. When I saw your tweet yesterday about being excited for your post today, I couldn’t wait to read it! I’m totally going home and showing my husband this who is a blogger (not PF). Great post.

• Alicia @ Financial Diffraction October 15, 2013 at 9:16 am

This is great! Thanks for writing this :)

• Fig October 15, 2013 at 9:28 am

LOVE this. Definitely sending it to future boyfriends!

• Bridget October 15, 2013 at 10:21 am

hahaha I LOVE this! Well done Cait =)

• save. spend. splurge. October 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

Not to take away from your awesome post, but TOMS shoes are made in China. Not sure how good that really is.

I heartily agree with dating a girl who knows something about money.

• Cait October 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

And the shoes they donate to kids are made in Argentina and Ethiopia. I did on a paper on them in school and have thought twice ever since.

• Liquid October 15, 2013 at 10:37 am

Brilliantly written. Where do I sign up, lol. I like how this post applies to both guys and girls :D

• FI Pilgrim October 15, 2013 at 10:55 am

Awesome post. My wife’s not much for financial talk, but she does write her own blog. I wonder how couples do it where one writes and the other doesn’t. It’s very time consuming!

• Cait October 18, 2013 at 8:27 am

I don’t know either! I’d say that both partners need to have hobbies, side projects, etc. to support each other’s schedule and bounce ideas off each other. :)

• Emily @ Urban Departures October 15, 2013 at 10:56 am

Great post! Well written, sweet and funny. While you paint a lovely picture of what it is like to date a female PF blogger, what does it take to date a female PF blogger?

• Cait October 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

Haha, I don’t know if I have the answer for that!

• moneystepper October 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

Haha – great fun Cait. Nice post!

• Blair@LifeDollarsandSense October 15, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Very cute idea!

• Connie @ Savvy With Saving October 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Love, love, love this post! Sending it to the BF. Lol.

• Patricia Gass October 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm

love love love this post! So witty, clever and funny. Your writing is always engaging. I am also a personal finance blogger and I must tell you how much of myself I saw in your post!

• Cait October 18, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thanks, Patricia :)

• Tara @ Streets Ahead Living October 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Such a great post! Perhaps spending $300 on a night with bottle service will not flatter a personal finance blogger?

• Cait October 18, 2013 at 8:24 am

I think not! Netflix and a pizza? Definitely.

• Lisa E. @ Lisa Vs. The Loans October 16, 2013 at 11:58 am

I always tell the BF to get me something I can use, something practical! Haha I love this :)

• My Own Advisor October 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Fun post. Nice stuff Cait :)

• Broke Millennial October 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Immediately going to post this on my boyfriend’s Facebook wall! He’ll appreciate this so much! Great post, Cait.

• Kasey @ AbsoBUDGETly October 17, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Cait,
    That is wonderful. I just wanted to say how much of an inspiration you are. In fact, I just started my own blog to chronicle our journey. I never would have done it without reading yours and others first. I think I am still too afraid to tell anyone yet, but I will get there.

• Cait October 18, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thanks, Kasey! You can keep it a secret for as long as you like, but I think once you get into a better position with your finances you’ll feel inspired to talk about it (and potentially even help others). Good luck!

• Natalie October 19, 2013 at 7:26 am

“Share your dreams with her and let her show you how you can combine your efforts to live the best life possible. ”

Loved this :) I guess [managing] money can buy happiness.

• Cait October 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm

• Martin October 23, 2013 at 3:48 am

Awesome blog post, actually made me smile a lot as been in the same field as you it makes sense :D

• Kyle @ Young and Thrifty October 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hilarious Cait. I wonder if similar ideas apply to the male blogger side of the aisle?

• Cameron November 6, 2013 at 11:56 pm

As I sit here going over my feedly(Oh, how I miss google reader) feed which backlogged to over 200 personal finance posts while away on vacation I wonder, would it be creepy to look over peoples shoulders at starbucks to see if they are personal finance bloggers.

You’ve convinced me I need to find a female personal finance blogger to date. It amazes me how many people in our age group just keep piling on the credit card debt like the party will never end… well I guess the party does never end, but soon the host of the party will be debtors instead of the lenders.

• Mel @ brokeGIRLrich November 8, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Aww, great post. I’m definitely going to direct it to my boyfriend – he hasn’t really adjusted to this whole new thing where his girlfriend tries to spend all of her free time blogging. The gift comment was spot on too. He recently asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I was like a new hubcap (one was stolen months ago) and gas gift cards? He thinks I’m nuts.

• Ashley November 11, 2013 at 8:17 am

You captured us perfectly! What an amazing post – I’ll be sure to share :)

• Jedith@Jadedpocketbook.com November 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi Cait I love this post. I am going to forward this to my friend who’s fiancee is thinking of proposing so maybe they can be off to a good start especially about the ring part.

Cheers

• s December 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm

haha i just bought some toms! this post is awesome. :)