July 2013 Budget & Goals

July 3, 2013

July 2013 Budget

Can you believe 2013 is half over!? Holy moly… time flies when you’re gettin’ shhh done!

I love how the beginning of each month feels like a fresh start. And July is always my favourite month – this year, maybe especially so. Not only do I get to celebrate my birthday but I’m also going to San Francisco! And Cassie is coming to visit and stay with me! But I’m getting ahead of myself… let’s look at all these numbers.

Going from top to bottom, let’s talk about the fact that I’m finally going to put some money in savings this month. Last month, all I did was spend, spend, spend, and July/August’s budgets will look pretty similar. But if I can put 10% of my income into my Emergency Fund this summer, that’s better than nothing. I’m also going to top up my Weddings account, because I depleted it last month. Every gift has been purchased and my flight to PEI is booked. All I have left to do now is buy shoes and pay for hair/makeup!

Speaking of PEI, let’s talk about my travel plans this month. I’m happy to say that I’ll be spending 22 days in Vancouver this month (which might be a record, since moving there). Those days will be broken up mid-month when I go to Victoria for 4 days and San Francisco for 5. I’ve already saved $350 of spending money for San Francisco, so the $300 in this budget is extra that I’d like to take down and would feel comfortable spending. But if any of it came back with me, I’d be ok with that too. ; )

Onto my regular expenses. Because I’ll be in Vancouver for 2/3 of the month, my expenses should normalize. However, I increased my Personal Care budget so that I could get my hair done ($100), as well as start going to the gym more. I added a little cushion to my Entertainment budget, so Cassie and I can have fun while she’s here later this month (so excited!). And most of my Restaurant budget is for her trip here, as well.

Overall, I would say that my biggest goal for this month is to eat better. Because I’ll be home for most of this month, I want to meal plan like crazy and keep my fridge stocked with healthy snacks. On top of that, I’m challenging myself to brown bag every lunch and avoid Starbucks like the plague. I also want to make sure that I make the healthiest decisions when I’m travelling; I did a pretty good job of this in June but I know I can do better. (I imagine there are lots of good choices in SF!)

Goals for this month:

• Brown bag all lunches
  • No takeout coffee
  • Read 2 books
  • Track my spending
  • Workout at least 10x (just no running)

What do you have planned for this month?

• Thomas | Your Daily Finance July 3, 2013 at 4:29 am

Yes this year is just moving so fast. Seems like it was just January and now my daughter is already 2 1/2 months. Good luck with the goals for this month. Let make sure not to repeat June with the spend spend spend. Working out ten times is a very doable goal and bag bagging it will surely save you some cash flow.

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

It definitely will! Has already helped, so far :)

• Jordann @ My Alternate Life July 3, 2013 at 4:36 am

Yay for visiting the East Coast! PEI is gorgeous, I went camping there last year and I can’t get over the rolling green hills and red soil (redder than NB anyway).

My month of July is basically going to be spent travelling. I’m going to Cuba on Friday for 7 days. Then I’m going to Quebec City on the 22nd for three days to catch a Paul McCartney concert, and then I’m off camping on the 25th-26th!

Fortunately, my husband and I got a bit of cash from the wedding, and I’ll be using some of that to help offset the costs.

Have fun in SF!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

I can’t wait to see pics from Cuba! You better share some ;) and Quebec City too.

• Deena Dollars July 3, 2013 at 5:18 am

So jealous that you’re going to San Francisco! I haven’t been back since I moved a year ago, and I’ve been dreaming about it. You are right, there is a ton of healthy, delicious food there — email me if you want suggestions! :) (Although I’m sure many people will have them for you.) I might have to point you to the best ice cream and coffee places though, so that just in case you want to cheat, you cheat realllllly good. Budget is looking good, lady!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:11 am

Ok, definitely emailing you! Your comment made me hungry :)

• Michelle July 3, 2013 at 5:20 am

I can’t believe it’s already July. This year has been flying by!

Good luck with your goals. I’ve been a little lazy with bringing my lunch to work these past 2 weeks. Need to change that!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:11 am

Do it!

• Budget and the Beach July 3, 2013 at 6:47 am

Glad you’ll be a little more settled this month. I know for me that always helps the spending. You’ll love SF! Such a foodie town!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

Now I just need people to eat with, haha… it’s weird going on a trip solo!

• Manda July 3, 2013 at 6:51 am

You and I have two of the same goals for this month – brown bag all lunches and read two books! I am WAY behind on my reading, which is a shame because I have a pretty hefty to-read list of books that are already loaded onto my Kindle. I really have no excuse not to read!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

I have a few books on my Kobo as well. Let’s get to it!

• Alice @ Earning My Two Cents July 3, 2013 at 7:16 am

I like the idea of setting monthly goals, especially to work out and read 2 books. I think I will put finishing the books I am reading on my July goals list (I always read 2-3 at a time, so weird). I also like that you put your savings as budget line items. I have savings goals like replenishing the emergency fund and saving to travel to Scotland for my sister’s wedding next year, but I always fall short each month. I think its time to make them line items. Thanks for the ideas!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

Haha, I usually read a couple books at a time, as well… although whenever I get towards the end of one, I get sucked into it. Anyway, good luck finishing yours and changing up your budget!

• Clare July 3, 2013 at 7:29 am

So cool that you get to hang with Cassie! I love her blog.

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:14 am

Yep! I get 5 whole days with her. I think we should do some kind of challenge where we try to do mostly free activities and see how much fun we can have, haha.

• Girl Meets Debt July 3, 2013 at 8:08 am

July seems like it’s going to be so much fun for you! I can’t wait to meet Cassie too :) P.S. let’s do the farmer’s market this week!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:14 am

Let’s do it!

• Cassie July 3, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’m excited for the trip as well :D Don’t worry, I’ll make sure I don’t hurt your entertainment budget while I’m there ;)

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

Free activity challenge accepted! haha

• Do or Debt July 4, 2013 at 12:01 am

SF is the best! You are going to have a blast.

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

I sure hope so! Can’t wait :)

• Mo' Money Mo' Houses July 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

That’s awesome that now that you’re debt free you can save! I can’t wait to get back to that once I get a job here. Have fun in San Fran and PEI!

• Cait July 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks, Jessica! How’s the job hunt going?

• Bria July 17, 2013 at 7:09 am

Happy to hear you are coming to visit PEI!!!