April 2013 Budget & Goals

April 5, 2013

April 2013 Budget

Ok, so I know I’ve been feeling a little down about not being able to find a place for April 1st and having to go back to Victoria for a couple weeks… but the upside is what that means for my budget, this month.

Look at the number I have allocated for debt repayment. Now look at the total amount of debt I currently have. My goal is to finish this month and have only $1,000 of debt left to pay off.

I need a minute to let that sink in.

Honestly, I’m having a hard time believing that this budget is even plausible. With no rent to pay this month, I have an extra chunk of cash to play with… and it has to go towards debt. I’ll still beef up my Future Apartment account a bit, and save the usual for my summer weddings. But if I want my debt to be wiped out in June, I need to pay as much off as I can this month, while my cashflow is so flexible.

As for the rest of my budget, I’d say there are a couple estimates here. I kept my Restaurant budget high, so I could explore Vancouver a bit and go out with friends in Victoria. My Personal Care budget includes the possibility of paying to go to the gym a few times. And I can’t really say what my Gas budget will look like, because it’s been so long since I’ve had that category in my budget! Guess we’ll see.

Goals for this month:

• Find an apartment for May 1st and coordinate my move
  • Spend quality time with family and friends
  • Track my weekly spending
  • Read 2 books
  • Start my half marathon training

What do you have planned for this month?

• Christina April 5, 2013 at 4:51 am

Is this your budget for the month? I’m fairly new here, but I really can’t see how someone can survive with that amount of food and low rent money. In Toronto, you can get low rent for $700 but your neighbours live a criminal lifestyle or are mentally ill. The maintance is zero on the building. Food is expensive if you eat healthy.

Your personal care is so low, I can’t help but wonder what you do to care for yourself.

I don’t want to sound mean and obviously you’ve survived and maybe you are very, very skinny. I am trying to put myself in your shoes, your life; I really can’t see this budget happening for me.

• Elizabeth April 5, 2013 at 7:01 am

I’m 23. I own my own home in a mature tree lined neighbourhood, I make a very good salary, and my net worth has 6 figures. I also have a mental illness. Would you like my address so that you don’t accidentally move in beside me?

• Debbie April 8, 2013 at 12:01 am

Hi! I’m 27, I own my own home, my net worth is 5 figures, I lost my job due to a mental illness but I never missed a single day of work nor did it ever suffer and currently in the midst of interviews.

I’d be your friend :D. We can stay far away from the troll!!

• Debbie April 7, 2013 at 11:58 pm

1. She has no rent for reasons included in the blog entry below the budget.

2. Her personal care budget is higher than mine is each month – which is about $20. If that.

3. I live in an expensive, resort town and make do on around $100 – $150/month on groceries. Where I live is comparable to where she lives.

I’m not meaning to be mean – but your reply does come off as a bit abrasive…

I think her budget is great. It beats mine. Bill outflow is around $2 400, income is around $0.00 because I’m not working.

When forced to, people WILL find ways to make budgets work…

• Cait April 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Thanks, Debbie!

• Dayle April 5, 2013 at 5:06 am

What a RANDOM reply! You say you are “fairly new” but does that mean you’ve read ZERO of Cait’s blogs?? Geesh!!!

• Rob April 5, 2013 at 5:17 am

Hi Cait. Just ignore the troll 1st comment above. It’s not worth a reply and is not productive anyway, just looking for a reaction. You’re doing just fine with your budget and you live your life in the way that works best for you and no one else.

A suggestion re: appt hunting. Have you considered the idea of sharing an appt with someone else, someone whom you can trust to help equally with the upkeep and expenses, someone whom you would be compatible living with? That might then allow you both to afford something more expensive and increase the number of possible rental places to consider. Later on, after finally getting out of debt, you then could save up for a place of your own. For now it might be something to think about.

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I know it’s cheaper to find a roommate but Roomie from Toronto is probably the only person I could ever stand to live with. I’m definitely happiest living alone (and have almost always lived that way).

• Michelle April 5, 2013 at 5:24 am

That is so awesome that your debt will be gone so soon! :)

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm

• Kendal @HassleFreeSaver April 5, 2013 at 7:38 am

Wow! Your debt is almost gone — that has to feel amazing! I understand your disappointment about not getting into a new place this month, but wouldn’t it be great to be nearly debt-free when you do find some new digs? Props to you on your progress! Hopefully you find a frugal way to celebrate. :)

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Yes, I’m definitely trying to stay positive about how not having to pay rent this month will affect my debt, future budgets, etc. I have no idea how I’m going to celebrate! But it might be time to start thinking about it…

• Jordann @ My Alternate Life April 5, 2013 at 7:59 am

Holy cow girl you are so close! That’s amazing! Good luck with apartment hunting, that is definitely not the most fun past time in the world.

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Haha, you got that right. Hopefully it’ll be over and done with soon. :)

• Cassie April 5, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m sorry Christina, but I almost had to laugh when I read your comment. $200 is quite reasonable for a single young women who cooks her own (healthy) meals, and only buys as much as she needs without letting a bunch go to waste. Add on $150 for eating out, and her budget is downright manageable. My grocery expendatures are about equivalent to hers, and I eat a gluten free diet and buy organic veggies. I’m not sure if you’re new to her blog, or to personal finance blogs in general, but your comments to her are downright snarky.

Way to go Cait on budgeting so much towards your debt this month!

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:28 pm

$350/month = ALL THE FOOD!

• Girl Meets Debt April 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

You are thisCLOSE to having your debt paid off! I’m so excited for you Cait!!!

And as for little miss sunshine’s comment above, just ignore it :)

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thanks, lady!

• Laura April 5, 2013 at 11:51 am

AMAZING JOB CAIT!!!! Keep your eye on the prize :)

• Cait April 6, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Trying to! :)

• Debbie April 7, 2013 at 11:59 pm

SO PROUD of you for being so close!!!! So jealous, but oh so very very proud!!!

• Cait April 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Debbie!

• cjb April 8, 2013 at 2:04 am

I have to say, Way to GO!

You’ll find the perfect place, just keep looking and you’ll find it.

• Cait April 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm