I’m Going to New York!

November 23, 2012

Yes, you read that correctly. Three weeks from today, Roomie, one of her best friends and I will be flying to New York City!

I’ve wanted to see NYC at Christmas time since as long as romantic comedies existed. I’m going to shop for a pair of black gloves and, as soon as I find the right pair, my future husband and I will reach for them at the same time. We will flirt over frozen hot chocolates at Serendipity 3, until we come to an agreement on the gloves (I will get to keep them) and then go our separate ways. Years later, we will finally meet again at an outdoor skating rink and, when he finds that the moles on my arm form the same shape as Cassiopeia, we’ll kiss and live happily ever after.

Ok, but seriously, I am huge fan of Christmas lights and all the joy that comes with the holiday season. In Victoria, I could go on the same driving route to view the same sets of lights – and with the same peppermint hot chocolate – for the entire month of December. This year, I’ll get to walk by some of the best displays I will probably ever see.

Unfortunately, we’re only going for 3 days, which doesn’t give me much time to see all of the other things I’ve always wanted to see in the city. The one plan I do have so far is to pop into the LearnVest office, so I can finally meet all of the ladies I’ve been working with / getting to know this past year (so excited!). Other than that, I can only imagine I’ll be going back to our room every night with sore feet, from all the walking we’ll be doing.

As for my budget, our flights were just over $200 roundtrip, our accommodation should be about the same each, and I’m still working out what my spending budget will be (I need to see how November finishes up). Until I work that out, I’ll be reading through Katie’s posts and asking Money Maus to share a few recommendations of her own.

Have you ever been to NYC? Name one thing I absolutely have to do/see/eat!

• Jordann @ My Alternate Life November 23, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hey congrats that sounds like it’s going to be an awesome trip!

I’ve never been to NYC but it’s definitely on the list. I’m going to Boston in February and can’t wait!

• Catherine November 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

I LOVE NYC! Have a great time! If you want a wicked view of the city, do Top of the Rock (vs top of empire state) because you get to see the empire state this way and I also suggest going at sunset- you will get to see both day/dusk/night- very cool to watch all the lights of the city turn on.

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Great suggestions, Catherine. Thanks!

• Bethany November 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

New York City is great! Central Park is always a must for me, but I am a big city planning/design nerd, so maybe not as high on others lists? (Did you know the original drawn plans for central park are framed and hung up in a conference room in the arsenal building in the park? I’ve seen it!) I always go out for Ethiopian food, since I can’t get any where I live (but you are in Toronto, so probably not an issue). The upper west side has a ton of vegan/veggie brunch places that are decent. Want me to look up the names? The Museum of Modern Art is definitely worth a trip, if museums are your thing. I love browsing for stuff in SoHo and getting crushed by the crowd in Chinatown.

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I don’t think the girls I’m going with will want to eat vegan/veggie food, haha… but maybe I’ll ask for a list of restaurants the next time I go! (See how I already know there will be a next time? Haha.)

• Michelle November 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

Hope you have fun! I’ve always wanted to visit around Christmas time as well.

• K.K. @ Living Debt Free Rocks! November 23, 2012 at 8:55 am

Well then welcome in advance to my neck of the woods NYC! I know you’ll have a great time here and your 3 days will whip by fast. I second Catherine’s suggestion to visit Top of the Rock over ESB. There is a lot more room and the view is absolutely incredible…my husband actually proposed to me there!

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

That is so cute, K.K.!

• Rob November 23, 2012 at 9:12 am

Congrats Cait, I’m sure that you will have a fabulicious time! :-)
    When down there please take a few pics to show us upon your return, k?

• Liquid November 23, 2012 at 9:14 am

I think that’s a pretty good time to visit NYC. You’ll see lots of decoration and cool lights on the streets. I’ve never been myself but I always wanted to check out the Empire State Building, just because I’ve seen it so many times in movies and want to take a gander at the real thing :D And now that Bethany mentioned it, I wouldn’t mind going to Central Park either ^_^

• MyPlantIsAlive November 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

Congrats! I hope you have a wonderful time. I have a cousin going to the count down on NYE.

• Tiffany November 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

Since everything will be decorated for the holidays you should check out the window displays at Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s and Sak’s. Bryant Park has ice skating and Christmas shops set up in tents all around, which is really fun! Also, go see the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City!

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Ooo, I’ll see if the girls want to go to that show! Thanks!

• Ashlee November 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Ah, lucky you! Hope you come back with lots of pictures!

• Budget & the Beach November 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

I agree with central park, especially because it’s free. If you have a little money (around 25-40) and love broadway shows, try the lottery system to get tickets for around that price. I won tickets to see newsies and the book of mormon. both were awesome! I really love walking around the west and east village too. I always think of friends and sex and the city. hi-line park is also free and really cool.

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

The lottery system sounds cool! Thanks, T.

• MissAmanda101 November 23, 2012 at 11:33 am

I went to NYC for the first time in June, and I CANNOT wait to get back there. (Gotta start saving up for another trip!) Even though I was there for 6 days, I still didn’t get the chance to do or see many of the things I wanted too. Have fun!

• rose November 23, 2012 at 11:58 am

Yes, I have been to New York at Christmas. Absolutely gorgeous. I went in 1995, long ago. My ex’s family lived on long island but we went into the city. I would have to say the must sees for me on that trip were FAO Schwartz and Trump Tower. Both beautifully decorated! I don’t know if things are the same in NYC now, but I remember my trip fondly. Enjoy!

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I definitely want to hit the toy store. Thanks for your comment, Rose!

• Meghan November 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Lucky you! NYC is on my bucket list.

• Sue November 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm

You’ll love New York City at Christmastime! Definitely check out the fabulous window displays at stores like Lord & Taylor, Macy’s, Bloomingdales, etc. If your budget allows for it, you really should go and see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular! I saw it a few years ago, and it was the most amazing Christmas show that I could ever imagine! I hope you have a wonderful time, and have a very Merry Christmas in NYC!

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

You’re the second person to mention the Spectacular! I’ll have to talk the girls into seeing it with me ;)

• Mr.CBB’s Weekly Blog Post Picks-Nov 23,2012 Shop Til You Drop! « Canadian Budget Binder November 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm

[…] Going to New York! blondeonabudget.ca/2012/11/23/im-…Follow Mr.CBB On Twitter! […]

• Revanche November 24, 2012 at 12:10 am

I had to go back to one of my old posts to remember some of the places to go:

That ramen is AMAZING and well worth almost any wait but try to get there early enough to avoid it so you don’t lose time you could be spending elsewhere ;)

And there are these little bakeries in Chinatown that make roast pork or BBQ pork buns and they were ohh heavens delicious. Near one of the Canal St subway stations.

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thanks, lady!

• Lisa jarvie November 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Love this post – trip sounds “serendipitous”!

Wish I could tag along but am so looking forward to catching up at Christmas!

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Wish you could be there too, lady! xo

• Katie C. November 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you’re visiting NYC! You are going to LOVE IT! (And thanks for the link!) I loved Top of the Rock for sunrise/sunset. Like someone else said, it’s a lot less crowded. Plus, you get to see the Empire State Building lit up at night! *swoon* You also can’t go wrong with a stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge. I can’t wait for you to tell us all about your trip! :-D

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I can’t wait to write about it! Or, wait… experience it, haha.

• Canadian Budget Binder November 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Ah, Serendipity with John Cucasck and Kate Beckinsale that is our favourite movie infact it’s sitting on our bedroom dresser. We watch it a few times a year just reminds us of how lucky we are and how amazing it was that we met each other and lived half way across the world. Have fun in New York Cait, looking forward to your posts about the trip. Mr.CBB P.S Buy the gloves!

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hahaha, I just might! ;)

• Mo' Money Mo' Houses November 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Woohoo! That’s awesome! I guess that’s one of the perks of living in TO, so close to NY!

• Kathleen, Frugal Portland November 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Are you really going to have time for sightseeing with all the romance and the gloves?

• Cait November 26, 2012 at 8:15 pm

• Shannon December 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hahaha, love Serendipity! You will have sooooo much fun!! I’ve been to NYC with some girlfriends and would LOVE to experience it the Christmas season there. New York is seriously tons of fun. I would totally recommend Tortilla Flats as a restaurant – they eat there on Sex & the City (which I am obsessed with) so that was cool & it’s a really fun atmosphere. We also ate at Tao which is expensive but yummy and fancy.

Can’t wait to read about your adventures :)

• Carrie Smith December 5, 2012 at 9:51 am

AHHH…so jealous! Please take lots of pics so I can vicariously live through you/stalk you on Instagram. :) I hope you have tons of fun and maybe I’ll get to go with you next year!