It’s Not Brave If You’re Not Afraid

September 18, 2012

I’m sorry for springing that surprise update on you all and then disappearing! I can’t remember the last time I went so long without checking my blog stats, replying to comments, etc. But for anyone who has ever moved across a province, state, country or further, you will know that the to-do lists are long. And every time you cross one thing off the list, it seems like three more things are added to it.

As I write this, it’s Tuesday night. I just finished packing my bags and am now sipping a steaming hot mug of ginger mint tea. I’m on Day 6 of a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection and my ears are still so plugged that the pharmacist had to give me extra decongestants today. Apparently, I have run myself down. Which should come as no surprise to anyone, especially myself, based on how quickly my life is changing…

Not even three weeks ago, I accepted my new job offer with, gave notice at my apartment, and told my family I was moving. The next day, I gave notice at work and started to tell friends. A few days after that, I flew to Denver for 5 days, and came home with only 9 days left to pack, move, and say my goodbye’s (or, as I like to call them, see you later’s).

I threw one last party at my apartment (apparently 16+ people can fit into 500 sq. ft.). I moved. I cleaned. I changed all of my addresses and researched health insurance information for cross-country moves. I took the driving insurance off my car, parked it, and bought storage insurance. Oh, and of course I packed (and unpacked and packed again).

As for my finances, my chequing account is actually pretty happy right now. Yes, I’ve had to fork out a couple chunks of change… but I’m also expecting some back. In the end, I expect this move will cost me no more than $1,000. Until I receive my security deposit and a few refund cheques in the mail, I’ll keep my receipts and save that post for another day.

Having had no time to waste, I also have no answer to the question, “does it seem real yet?” That I’m leaving? Not at all. That tomorrow morning I will say one last see you later to my family and board a plane to my new life? It seems impossible. But it’s happening. And now I can only hope I’ve seen everyone I wanted to see, done everything I wanted to do, and have forgotten nothing important.

One thing I keep hearing/reading is how brave this decision is; well, that’s not an adjective I’ve ever used to describe myself. But I do believe there are risks involved. While I am confident in my decision to go, it doesn’t mean I’m not scared to fail. But there are new challenges to take on; new experiences to live. And, as my beautiful friend Clare always quotes, “it’s not brave if you’re not afraid.”

The next time I write, it’ll be from Toronto. See you then and there, friends!

• Rob September 19, 2012 at 4:12 am

“One thing I keep hearing/reading is how brave this decision is”

It truly is an adventure, isn’t it? One that I’m sure that you won’t regret. Reminds me of when we moved to TO from Montreal, back in the day. I started work ahead of the family’s move (a Head Office transfer) and put a down payment on a house in Toronto before my wife had even seen it and before we had a buyer for our old house. Fortunately, she liked my tastes in houses. Now that was brave! :-)

One other thing, I never for a minute regretted making the move to TO and I believe nor will you, Cait. A lot of business and personal opportunity awaits you here. Trust me. All the best and take care of yourself healthwise.

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

Haha, you’re lucky your wife liked your taste, Rob ;) thanks for your comments.

• Travis Pizel (@DebtChronicles) September 19, 2012 at 5:43 am

I’m so excited for you, Cait! I love watching people follow their dreams and living life to the fullest…..looking forward to hearing about your new job!

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Travis!

• Sean @ One Smart Dollar September 19, 2012 at 6:59 am

Best of luck on the move Cait. What will you be doing for I think I might have missed it if you already told us.

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’m the newest Online Marketing Manager! Writing, editing, etc. to start… and we’ll see where it goes from there :)

• Pamela @ September 19, 2012 at 8:27 am

Very exciting! It reminds me of when I made a similar move from the East Coast to Toronto many years ago :) I never looked back & I’m sure you won’t either. Best of luck to you in your new job!

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

Thanks, Pamela!

• bogofdebt September 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

So excited for you and can’t wait to hear more about this new page in your journey. I made a move a little over 2 years ago from east coast to midwest and haven’t regreted it since.

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

Good to hear! Thanks :)

• Frugal Portland (@frugalportland) September 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

You’re still brave, silly! In a few days/weeks/months, you’ll wake up one morning and realize that this is your life, and it’ll feel weird, but you’ll remember all the people who told you you’re making a bold brave move and realize that they were right. :)

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

I think I’m having that moment right now… :)

• Taylor September 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

OH my goodness Cait! HOW EXCITING! DH and I did the cross country move in the other direction – it was exciting and terrifying all at the same time, believe me – I know how you feel. Safe travels to you (and your things), and I hope that Toronto is amazing. One thing at a time – starting over takes patience. You’ll be amazing!

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

Patience. Good advice! Thanks, Taylor :)

• Rachel September 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

When your living in congruency, changes that align with your true purpose happen very quickly because the universe wants you to be living who you truly are! Your so amazing! Congrats.

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

You are too sweet. Thanks, Rachel.

• Mo' Money Mo' Houses (@momoneymohouses) September 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm

That’s so exciting! Me and the BF have been talking of moving to Toronto so I look forward to your future posts about your experience there! :)

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:42 am

Have you ever been? Come out soon!

• Jordann @ My Alternate Life September 20, 2012 at 7:32 am

Congrats on moving! You must be so excited, can’t wait to hear about the new job. I can’t imagine just picking up and moving like that, part of me is definitely jealous that you have the guts to do that.

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

Is it guts? Or am I just crazy? haha. Thanks, Jordann :)

• Mike September 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Mixing things up is bound to set some new fires burning!

• Cait September 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

Here’s hoping ;)

• MR. CBB’s Weekly Blog Post Picks Sept 21,2012 « Canadian Budget Binder September 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

[…] It’s Not Brave If You’re Not Afraid- Blonde On A Budget […]

• Clare September 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Just saw this. <3 Thank you.

• Cait September 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm