2011 Summed Up

December 13, 2011

Last October, I checked my credit score and was sad to see that it was only 719. Two years before, it was 744! But I had since taken out both a car loan and a consolidation loan, so I wasn’t too surprised.

You know what did surprise me? Checking my credit score today. After a year of racking up and then drowning in consumer debt, as well as having two nearly maxed out cards for a few months, I was both shocked and thrilled to see this:

Credit Score

778? Excellent? ME!? There’s no way that’s right. How is that right!?

Well, I guess it is. I went through my report to find absolutely zero errors, other than that they still think I live in Toronto (even though they have me working for the same place in BC… right). But the credit check for my new apartment was on there, so is it safe to assume they will ‘know’ my new address soon?

I had no missed payments on any accounts but, obviously, still too much debt on my credit card. Don’t worry, lenders, that will be eliminated within the next 7 months!

Credit Score 2011

Going back to the number, it was also great to see that 57% of Canadian consumers were in the same bracket of 760+. I knew Daisy was, as her post from last week inspired me to stop being scared and finally get an update!

Now that 778 is staring me in the face, I don’t know why I was so scared to check it. Maybe because I have felt like a bit of a failure at times this year. But at least I’m a failure who’s always paid her bills on time. :)

When was the last time you checked your credit score?

• Kamara @ The Modern Financial December 13, 2011 at 6:57 am

Fantastic! Congrats!!

• Michelle December 13, 2011 at 6:59 am

Good job!

• centsofacountrygirl December 13, 2011 at 7:07 am

That’s great! The last time I checked my score was when I applied for a mortgage. It was a great feeling to hear the broker say ‘nice score’.

• Cait December 15, 2011 at 8:03 am

A broker is who told me my score was 744 a few years ago!

• Happy Homeowner December 13, 2011 at 7:42 am

Nice work!!

• beingirene December 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

I’ve never checked my credit score – It would be nice to know I guess but I’d rather keep the 25 bucks. Or can you get it for free somewhere??? When we did our mortgage with the bank we were told our numbers were good as were our ratios so I never even gave it much thought.

• Cait December 15, 2011 at 8:04 am

You can get a free report but it doesn’t include your credit score (at least, that’s what I’ve read). I paid $23.95 for it and am totally fine with that. It felt like Christmas morning, when I “saw what I got.”

• singletothepenny December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

You inspired me to check mine! Not as excelent as yours but still pretty good!

• Cait December 15, 2011 at 8:05 am

Awesome! :D

• LittleFrugalista December 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Wicked! I’ve never checked my score *embarrassed face* and the other day I heard Gail Vaz-Oxlade say that no one should know more about my credit history than you do. So true and I really need to get on that. When you do it, do you pay or do you use the free snail mail feature on Equifax?

• Cait December 15, 2011 at 8:06 am

I paid for mine. As far as I understand, the only thing you can get for free is your report… which is great! But it doesn’t include your actual credit score. (I could be wrong, that’s just what I was reading the other morning!)

• The Asian Pear December 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I should check mine in the new year. The last time I did it was in February for the actual score and credit report. I did just the report in September too. I think my score was 820? Or something like that.

• Cait December 15, 2011 at 8:06 am

That’s awesome! I’d love to be in the 800’s, this time next year.

• addvodka December 13, 2011 at 9:31 pm

YAYYY! Isn’t it SO great to see a good credit score? It’s definitely a relief. Good job!

• Cait December 17, 2011 at 8:22 am

Thanks Daisy! For your comment and your post.

• Taylor December 14, 2011 at 9:47 am

Congrats on the kic-ass credit score! I’ve never checked mine, but you’ve def got me thinking about it!

Also, I nominated you for a Liebster blog award – check out my blog for the details!

• Cait December 17, 2011 at 8:23 am

Oh cool, thanks Taylor!

• fabulouslyfrugirl December 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

That’s a great score!! Congrats! :)

I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t know what my score is. I have the paperwork to fill out for a free report, but that doesn’t give me a score, right? I guess I have to pay for that?

• Cait December 17, 2011 at 8:23 am

Yea, maybe I’m wrong, but I think you have to pay for your 3-digit magic number.

• andrea December 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Checked it last a few months ago… ever since my creditcard number got stolen (and maxed) I’m pretty diligent about checking it every 6 months on the dot. Although I can’t remember my score? I think it’s at about 750, it’s been stable for about 2 years. No missed payments and once I get rid of my studenloan there should be an increase. I’ll find out in a few months.

God for you on the great score!Oh and aren’t the wordpress snowflakes awesome :D

• Cait December 17, 2011 at 8:24 am

That’s a great score! And yes, the snow is awesome, haha. I’m always wondering if people are going to mock me for loving winter/Christmas so much but… whatever. It’s only for another week or two ;)