November 2011 Budget & Goals

November 1, 2011

November 2011 Budget

Well, here it is: my very first monthly budget. Yes, I’m aware of the irony with the name of my blog… but I had to start sometime, right? ;)

This month, I’m planning on putting 59% of my income on debt, spending 30.2% on my needs and wants, setting aside 5.4% for Christmas and putting 5.4% in savings. I know that’s not nearly the amount I should be putting into savings but this is my final month of not having to pay rent and I want to put every possible penny on debt.

On top of attempting to stick with my first budget, there are a number of other goals I hope to achieve this month.

November 2011 Goals:

• Call and request a lower interest rate on my credit card
  • Find a way to lower my cell phone bill
  • Hit my “I’ve paid off $10,000 of debt!” mark (-$18,115)
  • Lower credit card debt to -$4,000
  • Make an appt. to increase RRSP contributions from monthly to bi-weekly
  • Finish reading Debt-Free Forever by Gail Vaz-Oxlade
  • Read Never Too Late by Gail Vaz-Oxlade
  • Start looking for a new apartment (to move in January 1, 2012)
  • Get a haircut (I haven’t had one since February!)

What do you hope to accomplish this month? And have you started saving for the holidays?

• Michelle November 1, 2011 at 7:23 am

Starting a budget is better than never!

• LC November 1, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hope so! I have always done mini budgets per paycheque… but this is obviously the better way to budget my finances/life.

• changeonabudget November 1, 2011 at 8:09 am

Congrats on making your first budget! Don’t get too stressed out if your spending doesn’t line up perfectly this month – I found it took me about 3 months of trial and error to really get a feel for how to split up my money.

• LC November 1, 2011 at 8:53 am

Thanks for the advice! I was nervous to make a budget b/c it’s going to change so drastically each month, until I move out and have more fixed expenses… but I also didn’t want to procrastinate anymore! Trial and error works for me. :)

• Hawaii Planner November 1, 2011 at 9:20 am

It’s never too late to start! :-) I have a bunch of things on my November list – my top item is not financial, but I need to lose 5 lbs. I really struggle with gaining weigh during the holiday season, & I don’t want that to happen this year!

• LC November 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I could add that to my list too! :S Good luck!

• laura November 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

That’s a great budget (for your first budget) 50% towards your debt is brilliant
    Good luck :)

• laura November 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

…or even over 50%….sorry :)

• LC November 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm

haha, don’t apologize. Thanks for your comment :)

• addvodka November 2, 2011 at 5:57 am

Yay for budgeting!

I never take mine too seriously, but I like to know generally how much I should have left over at the end of the month. Let me know what happens when you try to talk down your phone bill – this is something I’ve been needing to do for awhile now! Are you on a plan?

• LC November 7, 2011 at 5:54 am

Yes, I’m on a plan. I lowered it a bit last week. Post coming Wednesday!

• Newlyweds on a Budget November 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

Nothing makes me happier than a well thought-out budget! lookin good!

• LC November 7, 2011 at 5:54 am

Aww, thanks! Happy I made you happy, haha.

• Pamela Carey Nelson November 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

great blog! And congratulations on your financial goals; you will no doubt achieve all you set out to do! I’d be happy to share some resources with you from my book (Broke-Free Forever) – complimentary of course!, and especially some tools for overcoming the reasons why ‘budgets’ often fail. You are well on your way, let me know if I can be of help!

Pamela Carey Nelson
    author of Broke-Free Forever
    (and fellow BC resident)

• centsofacountrygirl November 3, 2011 at 5:52 am

That’s a fine lookin’ budget. Let me know what you think of ‘Never too late’.

My goal for November is to get my budget back on track now that I’m in my new place and a little more settled. Also, get my office looking like an office and less like a tool depository.

• LC November 7, 2011 at 5:57 am

haha, good goals! And I’ll definitely let everyone know what I think of Never Too Late.

• Link Love (Powered by Merry-go-rounds) | fabulously fru-girl November 4, 2011 at 6:50 am

[…] on Budget shares her November Budget and Goals!  I remember her hard it was for me to start budget – good for […]

• Weekend Update | Change on a Budget November 5, 2011 at 8:58 am